Sunday, May 11, 2008

Li chiamavano "Diritti Umani"

ok, i've lost the sense of my speech.
in my previous post i was saying that i've gone to dubai last friday (shopping... don't forget i'm a woman!).
then, when it was time to come back from Deira City Centre (after 1h30m queueing for taxi...) and heading for the bus station in Bur Dubai, i was pretty afraid of the huge mass of people going back to abu dhabi i would find at the bus station. it was almost 10 p.m. already and i didn't want to wait for hours, lose the last bus and be forced to take an engaged taxi paying AED 200.
but in the bus station a miracle happened: there was a queue at the abu dhabi ticket window probably long 1 kilometre, i was wandering around looking for the place i could wait and suddenly a man came to me and asked me where i had to go... "Abu Dhabi? That side!" and, as a magic, he showed me the "Ladies Line"! so, here it is: on the buses there are ladies seats on the front, so women are not forced to sit close to men that they don't know (yes baby, it's called "segregated society"!), and to buy tickets there are special queues for ladies only (faster cause usually there are not so many women taking the bus...) so women are not forced to be in the line with men they are not related to. wonderful! i got my ticket in 1m30seconds and went to the bus stop. also there there were hundreds of men queueing, but the same guy came again close to me and my fellow females and told us to stay in the front cause we were going to take the bus first. so, some men rightly protested (i swear i would mind the queue for the ticket, but not for the bus): they were waiting since longer, so for me it was their right to enter first. but the guy of the bus station was not of my same opinion so he called another guy with a stick and he started beating these poor men like animals to make them shrink from the bus. after they secured all the women were sitting inside the bus and no men could sit near them, they allowed the poor men enter the bus and take their seats in the back.

i remember in my studies at the university i've read something about human rights... wonder! maybe the books i've used for my studies were soooo obsolete.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.